Thursday, February 23, 2012

William turned 5, even though I told him not to

William had a hard time narrowing a guest-list for his fifth-birthday party, but I finally talked him down to 20 kids or so:


You can imagine how many he wanted. I was feeling awfully tired and harried at the time, and I wouldn't have done a party at all, but, honestly, this kid deserved a party. This funny, stubborn, compulsive, crazy, thoughtful, willful, difficult, lovely boy deserved a BIG party.

This is the face William makes when people are looking at him:



He wanted a chocolate cake with balloons on it. (Okay, actually he wanted a chocolate cake in the shape of a pirate ship, but HELL no.) ( Listen, I am willing to throw a party for twenty kids, but I draw the line at spending weeks of my life in the kitchen cursing and crying and trying to figure out how to bake a cake in the shape of a boat, I HAVE THINGS TO DO.) (also, does all that work make the cake more delicious? No, it does not.) (He loved his balloon cake.)

He blew out the candles:



I mean, he tried to blow out the candles:



and Christofer responded really inappropriately; there was just no need to flip off the children.


Finally he got it.



and there was much cheering and rejoicing and cake eating. Seriously, there was a ton of cake eating. I gave those kids huge pieces. Their parents all love me, I'm sure.

William opening his presents, surrounded by friends:


I'm always telling William I'm going to shrink him back to four, because I can't stand for him to get any older. That's not really true. As much as I'll miss the sweet and wild William he's been, I love the grown-up, independent, smart William he's becoming.

So. Don't grow up too fast, William, but truthfully I can't wait to see what comes next.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Now I see what kind of party you throw...adults flipping off children! Sheesh! ;)

And I didn't mind at ALL that you loaded up my kids with enormous pieces of cake and lots of candy. I sent my kids to Brittney's that night :)

Megan Ford said...

I love you and I am glad you are back to posting. I laughed throughly!!